Knowing how to prepare for your first placement can be nerve-racking. Fostering Solutions is here to help.
Here are some quick tips on what you can do to help a child feel welcomed in your home!
- Create a warm and welcoming environment with adequate cultural representation. Think about setting books and toys out around the home that represent people of different races, cultures and abilities.
- Have kid friendly food readily available.
- Make the child’s room comfortable and have it ready for them.
- Have extra hygiene supplies on hand in case the child does not come with any.
- We hope the child can stay enrolled at their current school, but if not, start communicating with schools and/or child care providers. Typically, you can start filling out paperwork for enrollment before the child arrives.
- Communicate with your workplace about your new placement. Like any other child, you may need to take time off for appointments and meetings.
- Create boundaries and expectations in your home and make sure everyone is on the same page. It is important to communicate your expectations with children placed in your home and to be consistent with those expectations.